Monday, June 18, 2012

The Starting Line

    If you ask anyone who has ever worked out with me they will tell you I [used to] absolutely HATE running! Before I started training I could barely make it from the front door to the street. (Okay maybe that's a little bit of an exaggeration...but it didn't make it far before I started huffing and puffing and quit). 

I feel it is necessary to make it clear that I am in no way taking
credit for creating this training plan, just sharing the exact
one I used. 
   Pinterest. Where it all began. Now I'll admit I'm a little bit of pinterest junkie. While I'm guilty of planing my futuristic wedding and future home decor on an unrealistic budget, contrary to the pinterest stigma, my main reason to explore pinterest is for all kinds of things that I actually CAN do. When baking became my favorite category I realized I was in serious need of an exercise plan. I came across a lot of home work outs, but many I knew at first glance I'd never have the motivation, therefore they were not 'repin' worthy. I even bought Zumba fitness for the Wii, which is fun but it began to feel weird dancing alone in my living room. When I came across this running schedule I thought it just might be do able...some day, when someone is willing to do it with me. I repinned and forgot about it for a while.

   Finally summer hit, no more classes, lots of extra free time. I decided it was finally time to get exercising (bikini season was a big motivation). I wasn't really in any need to loose weight so I wasn't looking for anything too extreme, but I needed something to get a little toned and stay/get into shape. I tried to get some people to workout with me but it never seemed to "work out" (pun!). Then while going through my pinterest boards looking for a new project I came across this running schedule and thought, "I'm doing it! Tomorrow!" (I tend to start things spontaneously) that night I wrote all of the run times into my calender and believe it or not, I did it and I still am. I could barley get through that first two minute run, but I carried on. I just finished week 4 and I'm going extremely strong. 

      I've honestly surprised myself with how well it's working. Some may say I'm taking it very slow, but it's what works for me and this is probably the most I have ever committed to running without quitting. I hope to go beyond this training schedule, maybe a 10k or a marathon someday! I've begun researching tips for better running and such and one of the things I found was to start a blog about your running, write about your trials and accomplishments share it with your family and friends for encouragement. I'm always looking for something good to blog about and my previous subjects have failed. So here I am, writing. I am combining something I love with something I [used to] hate. Ironic?   



My pinterest link just in case you're interested: pinterest.com/aleist3

No comments:

Post a Comment